Super Mario, the Opera (and many, many more)

Since the real band plays 'Endtroducing' post, I've been deluged with 'Real band plays...' emails. A lot of people pointed me towards Alarm Will Sound, who do a 22-piece orchestra version of various Aphex Twin numbers (and of course Nina Gordon's acoustic version of 'Straight Outta Compton'). But the strangest things I saw were the video game interpretations. I know it's old news in the US, but I was thoroughly freaked out by the trailer for Video Games Live (stadium-sized orchestral performances of video game soundtracks). And not just because the sound on my laptop is broken so everyone in the clip sounded like a munchkin (particularly Elijah Wood). The 'Dear Friends' concerts are a slightly less fist-pumping orchestral performance of the music from Final Fantasy. But best of all is The Mario Opera, concieved by Johnathan Mann: "Had you ever written an opera before? 'This is my second rock opera. In 2002...I co-wrote, directed, produced and starred in 'The Last Nympho Leprechaun'." (Thanks pL)


Comments:
Yeah the last nympho leprechaun, it err.. I want to comment but i got nothing. The last nympho leprechaun... what.. the... hell.
 
don't knock it till you seen it, man. check out www.jonathanmann.net to see a few videos from my first rock opera.
 
a band called "the advantage" (i think named after a super NES controller) does live video game music in a very rock and roll style. check 'em out.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Music Thing on Twitter
    follow MT on Twitter

    Music Thing Hits:
    Music Thing Heroes:
    Music Thing Friends:
    My music gear for sale
    DIY Modular Synth
    Matrix Synth
    Create Digital Music
    Analog Industries
    Boing Boing Gadgets
    London Video Production
    Oddstrument
    Wire to the Ear
    Palm Sounds
    Noise Addicts
    Retro Thing
    Analogue Haven
    Music Thing Massive
    About Music Thing:
    Send tips to Music Thing
    About this site
    Music Thing Massive
    RSS Feeds


    Problem with the ads?
    Please let me know